Saturday, August 9, 2008

I can't drive 55

I can't drive anywhere. Today is day 6 of Steve's dad trying to fix the brakes. Apparently the past days were the fault of AutoZone selling him the wrong part. That's why they kept leaking. Now he just has to bleed the other brake. One is bled and fine, the other is waiting until he drags himself out of bed.

In the interim, my boyfriend gets to take a car with less than perfect brakes to work and wherever else he needs to go.

No one is home at my mom and dad's for most of today, so I am stuck here with twiddling thumbs.

We looked at cars the other day. I keep wanting to say yesterday, but Thursday and Saturday don't usually sit by each other. There's bad blood or an unpaid debt or something. Their story changes every time you ask them.

The Bean is being a lazy ass. He only moves when it really starts to freak me out that he hasn't. It's all the more John Hurt-esque now. I see his entire body sliding across me. I see my skin jumping when he decides he wants to kick and not just roll around. I'm just waiting for the dinner table event when he forces his way out. I can hope he doesn't hiss back at the cat. I can hope he busts out a top hat and chimes in with the "Hello my baby" cartoon frog song.

Then again, if he did that, he'd probably only sing for me, and I wouldn't make any money.

Ok, I believe I've pop-culture referenced you out for today.

Anyone know if a 2001 Chevy Venture (with 88K miles) is better than a 2000 Toyota Sienna? I can't remember how many miles that one had, but it was most likely comparative to the mileage on the Venture. It looked newer, like it had been owned by old folks.

I want a car, damnit.

2 comments:

Clay Perry said...

while all cars can be lemons from any manufacturer, the track record for Japanese cars is just simply better for things like transmissions, motor problems, all the big ticket items.. this comes from jimmy bragg, the owner of fairburn road transmissions, a 35 year career as a transmission specialist & mechanic, he has built several cars for racing & has a team. he is the best mechanic i know, he is expensive, but does very good work. direct quote - " I get fords & chevys in here all the time with 150,000 miles that need rebuilt transmissions in them or new ones, but the Japanese cars last for 2 to 3 hundred k"...the brake system is not hard to work on at all, even i can do a complete brake job, its just a manner of having the appropriate parts & tools & place to do it... bleeding the brake line is a simple operation, depending on make & model & whether its front or rear, but it isn't difficult, I'm sure Steve could do it. instead of thumb twiddling, you should be sleeping or walking... get plenty of good exercise & rest..

Patrick said...

We have a new keyboard and mouse. oh yeah, that has nothing to do with you wanting a car. Hmmm. I will have to leave a comment later La-La.