Saturday, September 20, 2008

and my lower back won't stop aching. :(

Today my routine doctor appointment threw me for a loop right into a room at the hospital, waiting around for my blood pressure to return to normal. It's definitely taxing to be sitting around on an uncomfortable bed, in an uncomfortable place, waiting for your blood pressure to go down. It's even more taxing when it doesn't.

The machine took my bp every 15 minutes. In one instance, it was 157/95, and 15 minutes later I was falling asleep as it took it again, and it was 166/90 something. How does one's blood pressure jump ten points when you're almost sleeping??? They had me lying on my back, which makes all of the baby lying on my organs. The blood pressure cuff kept sliding towards my elbow whenever I relaxed my arm. After steve and I had been there almost 4 hours they had me lay on my left side and put the cuff on my right arm. That's when the reading started dropping to good numbers.

They made me angry at my OB's office too. Last week I weighed around 240. When the nurse rushed through my weight today she slinked the thing over and had me weighing 248 without even letting the thing stop bouncing up and down. There is no way I gained 8 pounds in just a week. My pants still fit, and my shirts still covered my belly. Where did I put it? When I went to the hospital the nurse there weighed me and got 243. And that was after I drank a bunch and had to pee really bad. I guess that one minute drive across the street to the hospital made me lose 5 pounds?

Anyways, I know the baby moving less and high blood pressure are very valid things to worry about. I just wish they wouldn't have led me to believe it was all going to go down today. That sure as hell didn't help my heart much. I know my baby is coming. I know what's going to happen during labor, and have been expecting him to start making me hurt a million different ways for almost a week now. It just freaked me out so bad to know it was happening for real. Plus, I wasn't packed for the hospital or anything. The carseat still isn't in the car.

I know it sounds dumb. It's like I've been riding in a car for 4 hours and all of a sudden panicked that I'm on the road. Hell, after the doctor visit we had planned on walking around old navy and getting some halloween duds for the little guy. And we had planned on walking around the mall trying to get labor started. I can't explain why I freaked out so bad thinking I was going to have to go be induced right then. I'm much calmer now, and I'm once again at terms with the mind numbingly scary prospect of labor. (or as at terms as I'm ever going to be without knowing anything about what it will be like.)

Ask me on Tuesday if I'm still feeling as good...

4 comments:

Junebug said...

It won't be to much longer now and Dexter will be here to meet his mommy and daddy.
If you get the same person at the drs' on Tuesday who weighed you and took the first blood pressure readings and isn't of a better attitude tell your dr and have him redo the job.He is your doctor and should do it to make you as comfortable as he can.

Clay Perry said...

any visit to a medical professional is a pain in the ass... i told you! from now on you will never be ready for anything that happens, if parenthood will teach you anything, it's patience, roll with it, or you simply explode..

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever want to be a mommy.

Betty BeadBug said...

The Angry Georgian's comment made me laugh out loud. It is a crazy job and only a "mommy" would volunteer. But seriously, it is totally normal. When I had to be induced I was totally freaking and it was my second and I had already resigned myself to a c-section. So glad he decided to quit being stubborn so that didn't have to happen. I am crossing my fingers for everything - that you are both healthy and safe. Take good care of my Bean and my Lola.