I received a request on my last post to put up instructions for a hat. This is my variation on this pattern here. I obviously have not mastered that flower yet. I'm working on it. As with the flowers, this pattern can be adapted to different size heads with different sized hooks. I find a J hook makes a decent sized hat for a regular adult sized head. If you are afflicted, as I am, with a head with a 42 inch circumference, you may want to start out with a K hook. I've also found that the size of the hat can vary depending on what type of yarn you use too. I'm posting the pattern for a normal hat. The trim, as seen on the pink hat, will be posted right after.
For the sake of examples, I'll say to use a J hook. Any variations to the pattern to increase the hat size will be in brackets.
The abbreviations are the same as the last pattern: sl st=slip stitch, dc=double crochet, sc= single crochet, ch=chain.
Ch 4. Sl st to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 2. This counts as the first dc here and throughout. 9 dc in ring. This will make 10 double crochet total. Sl st in top ch of beginning ch 2. (hereafter referred to as Join)
Round 2: Ch 2. dc in same stitch. 2 dc in each stitch around. 20 dc total. Join
Round 3: Ch 2. 2 dc in next st. (dc in next st, 2 dc in next st,) around. 30 dc total. Join
Round 4: ch 2. dc in next st. 2 dc in next st. (dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next stitch) around. 40 dc total. Join.
Round 5: Ch 2. dc in next 2 st. 2 dc in next st. (dc in next 3 st, 2 dc in next st) around. 50 dc total. Join.
Round 6: Ch 2. dc in next 3 st. 2 dc in next st. (dc in next 4 st, 2 dc in next st) around. 60 dc total. Join.
[if you are making this for a massive noggin, add another row of increasing stitches here. (dc in 5 st, 2 dc in next st.) around. 70 total.]
Round 7-14: Ch 2, dc in each st around. 60 dc total. [70 if making a bigger hat]
Round 15: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Cut yarn, weave in ends.
[in the case of the bigger hat, I've found 16 rows and then a row of sc work well.]
Edging:
This makes a Lazy Shell. If you're adding this don't cut and weave in yarn. Just continue using the same yarn. (unless you're opting for a different color).
after you finish the single crochet row:
Ch 1, (sc, Ch 3, 2 dc) all in next st. skip next 2 sc. (sc, Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, skip next 2 sc) around. join. Cut yarn. Weave in ends.
I'm serious about you guys trying it and posting pictures of the finished products. :D I plan on selling a bunch of hats at my garage sale at the end of next month, so I'll let you know how lucrative they are. They really don't use a lot of yarn. If you figure a skein of yarn costs $3 (and that's towards the high end, price-wise) you can get more than 3 hats from a good sized skein. you could sell these for $1.50 and make lotsa profit. Who doesn't want a nice, warm skull cap for a buck and a half?

3 comments:
Now I must try this....while it is blistering hot here now...winter is coming. ;-) Even if I don't sell a bunch I can get started on Christmas presents.
Just call if you have any questions. :D It's pretty straight forward, but we both like to crochet and watch tv. Sometimes that ends up with me looking down at a crazy mixed up mess.
I printed this out so I can use some of the yarn I have at home to do a practice run. We have shows coming up at the end of the summer and I want to make some for that. I'll let you know how it goes and if they turn out ok I promise to post pictures. :-)
Post a Comment