Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Maybe some of you have notice the name change of the blog. I felt bad having retail clerk up there, because I haven't been one for nigh on a year now. I also wanted a place to showcase whatever crocheting I've been up to. I wanted a place where folks who were curious about crocheting could learn and make cute stuff. From now on, amidst updates when I have time for them, I'll be posting some current projects I'm working on and instructions on how to make them.


Here's the first one. It's the first pattern I adapted and made on my own. It's for flowers to adorn whatever. The first application I used them in was on a hat. The hat is a variation on a pattern from this lovely lady. It's the basic crown pattern, and once you make the increasing rows as desired, you just do rows of double crochet until the hat is long enough to reach or go just past your ears. That's up to you.

Laurie's 5 petal flowers:

Abbreviations I'll be using, extended:

sl st= slip stitch
sc= single crochet
dc= double crochet
hdc= half double crochet
ch= chain
rnd= round

The beauty of this little guys is you can use whatever size hook you want, with whatever colors and types of yarn you like.

1. Ch 4. sl st to form ring.
2. (rnd 1) ch 1 (counts as first sc), sc in ring. (ch 2, 2 sc, ch2) around until you have 5 ch 2 spaces. Sl st to the ch 1.
3. Sl st to ch 2 space. ch 2 (counts as hdc). 9 dc in same ch 2 space. hdc. (hdc, 9 dc, hdc) in next ch 2 space and in each ch 2 space around. Sl st to top of beginning ch 2.

Cut the yarn, weave in the ends and you've got a flower. You can make them in varying hook sizes. I would try and put 2 sizes between small, medium, and biggest flower. It makes the nested flowers look a little less cluttered. You can sew them on to hats, scarves, blankets, etc.

Make these and post pictures! Comment with any questions and happy crocheting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. You're getting old.

Betty BeadBug said...

The heavens opened and I saw a great light while I heard the angels singing....and for a moment I was so happy! A site that I can use to learn to make new things with someone who writes patterns a way that I can understand! It truly is a miracle, for serious. Also, when my poor, old brain falls short and cannot comprehend your brillance I have your phone number and I can call! Oh happy day! Post a hat next...I have always wanted to learn to make one. Always, always. I love the change on your blog. Welcome to the glory of growing older. Isn't it lovely not to care anymore? Just do what you like? :-) xo xo